Friday, July 19, 2013

Mocha Brownies

The world would be a tad less beautiful without brownies…I am sure this statement would evoke unanimous nods from brownie lovers…and why wouldn't it ?



 I love anything and I mean ANYTHING with chocolate in it. The guilt in me ( and that disagreeable stare from hubby dearest ) often dissuades me from biting into chocolate way too often…But it doesn't hurt to have it once in a while ( Even if it did, I prefer being hurt !! :) ).

During one of my numerous food blog browsing sessions, I came across this delicious looking brownie on Shireen's blog. That was my "stop n stare "  moment. Though it was hard , I resisted the urge to bake it just yet simply because I had " sinned " by gobbling up …err, a few ( I am not going to mention, how many ) bars of chocolate, few moons ago. I had this huge battle going on between the urge to bake it and my sincere attempts to ward off the ( evil ) thought.. A couple of days later, Shireen egged me on to try it and that was just what I required…that one prod and wham…the urge WON !!!  Well, I tried hard , not to make it, you see..but can't refuse a friend, could I ?  ( cheeky smile )…

Well, I did make it and was happy with the result…this was my first attempt at brownie-making and I was not let down. The smell of coffee wafting all over the house was sheer bliss !! I devoured slice after  slice , promising myself that I wouldn't go near even a one kilometer radius around chocolate ( the authenticity of this promise lefts to be seen though )…

This sure is a winner brownie recipe and is for keeps…try it and don't forget to let me know how you like them :)

Mocha Brownies

Recipe source : Ruchik Randhap

Ingredients :

Unsalted butter (room temperature)                           55 gms plus a little more for greasing
Cooking chocolate, chopped                                       115 gms
Demerara ( or any brown ) sugar                               175 gms
Eggs                                                                             2
Instant coffee powder                                                 1 tbsp ( dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
                                                                                                     and then cooled )
Plain flour                                                                    85 gms
Baking powder                                                            1/2 tsp
Chopped walnuts( you can toast lightly )                   55 gms

Method :

1.   Prepare an 8 inch square cake pan by greasing and then lining it with a parchment paper ( or you
      can dust the pan with flour ). Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.
2.   Melt the chocolate and the butter using the double boiler method ( Boil water in a pan. Place
      chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl and then place this bowl over the pan containing boiling
      water ). Cool and keep aside.
3.   Beat the sugar and eggs in a bowl until they turn pale.
4.   Gently mix in the melted chocolate - butter and the coffee dissolved in water.
5.   Then, sift the plain flour and baking powder and gently incorporate it in the mixture.
6.   Lastly, add the chopped walnuts and mix gently again.
7.   Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for about 25-30  mins or till a skewer inserted in the
      center of the pan comes out clean.
8.   Remove from the oven and let the brownie cool in the pan.
9.  After about 10 mins, unmould the brownie on a wire rack and let cool completely before cutting it
     into pieces.



                                     







      

No comments :

Post a Comment